Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Global Warming?

I'll admit to knowing very little about the whole Global Warming thing. I'll also admit that those you listen to most in the media will very much slant your opinion. For instance, listen to conservative talk radio, and you will be convinced that all of this to-do about the environment is a bunch of hooey. I've also noticed that the more conservative you are, the nastier you become with the name calling and pious discrediting of anyone speaking out about the environment (all sorts of Al Gore slams, tree hugger references, etc.) If you're outspoken about the environment, you're automatically labeled as an aforementioned tree hugger, and somewhere the label "liberal commie" us undoubtedly used.

Well, can't we all get along? Seems to me there is a happy medium here somewhere. I am tired of Christians simply following the "loud" voices out there of Rush and other blowhards who are misquoting and taking Scripture out of context to suit their "the sky certainly isn't falling" theories, while ignoring the Biblical evidence that this earth is ours to steward appropriately.

Here are a few quotes and soundbites that I came across today that I thought were thought-provoking and somewhat humorous...on both sides of the ozone (so to speak).
  1. conservative radio host from Cincy named Bill Cunningham in a promo for his afternoon show, commenting on the drastic cold snap that has swept into the region - "Today we'll talk about whether this 50-degree drop in temperature is even more evidence of global warming." He, of course, is in the "hooey" camp.

  2. "71% of the population believes in global warming while the other 29% are still trying to resolve the 'earth is flat' debate" - ad in Outside magazine for a company called simpleshoes, who make shoes out of recycled tires (the April issue is the Green Issue, with lots of environment stuff)...

  3. Chip Giller of quoted in Outside mag...I think this quote is also on a Starbucks cup..."So-called 'global warming' is just a secret plot by wacko tree huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!" Very funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please keep it nice. It is helpful if you use your name, too...anonymous comments with no names attached are generally deleted!