Is anyone else just sick of the self-appointed social psychologists out there who seem to have figured out all on their own all that has gone wrong with the Katrina disaster? My first thought is "Why are they continually putting these people on TV?" Followed only by my second realization, "Because the people putting them on TV seem to be members of the same club!"
Not that its the case with all involved. Lots of objective reporting, people who care, those whose first concerns aren't to assign blame but help their fellow human beings. But the idiots are attempting to run the village. Just a few...
- Kanye West, a rapper who for some reason we assume has something to say so we let him speak (?). He speaks out on a benefit concert on NBC and shows his ignorance: " George Bush doesn't care about black people" and went on to say that America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible." I guess Kanye thought instead of pulling people together during the worst natural disaster in the history of our country, why not just add some race fuel to the fire? Unfortunately, there are others who really believe this nonsense. I'm thankful that its a minority.
- Celine Dion. I'm not sure I should say any more, but it must be done. Her interview on Larry King Live had a lot of gems, including 'How come it's so easy to send planes in another country, to kill everyone in a second, to destroy lives," at a time when Americans need to serve their own country, she said. Hey Celine, that's a good point. So why don't you go back to CANADA? BTW, Celine did pledge $1 million to the relief effort. (not bad...that $832,500 she made per week at Caesar's Palace in 2004 should more than cover that...don't get me started on her wedding costs and her vow renewal extravagance).
- Of course Michael Moore. He writes " Dear Mr Bush: Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in
New Orleans and need to be airlifted, Moore tells in a letter published on his website.Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?" I just hope Michael and his cameras do their homework a little better. The hurricane hit on Sunday. ABC News headline on Monday night was "New Orleans Saved." The flood wall broke Tuesday and the waters came in. In less than 48 hours, the place THE SIZE OF GREAT BRITAIN was engaged with federal government support. Is there some way Moore can move in with Celine and what's his name in Canada?
- Jesse Jackson. Showed up just in time to get his face on TV. Jackson says the change needs to come in the form of more food, more water and more rescues. He says there also needs to be a change in the way the world is viewing those hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. "The imagery of blacks as refugees and blacks as thugs and blacks as a threat has complicated the relief efforts," said Jackson.
The Reverend Jackson told supporters they should consider holding off on making donations to the Red Cross -- if that agency refuses to set-up relief efforts in areas it deems too dangerous.
"For the Red Cross to use as a reason for not going in at all 'fear..." they're reputation is for going into war zones! There is no evidence of a mass riot in the mud in New Orleans," said Jackson.
Well, Jesse, we all are very aware that New Orleans and other major cities are home to an unfortunately large number of urban poor. They also happen to be disproportionately black. Oh, and TV cameras captured a lot of them with guns, shooting at people who were there to help. Get your facts straight. Oh, and I hear there's room up at Celine's place in Manitoba.
- Last but not least, Oprah. She's apparently there doing her show today, so now we can all rest easy knowing that O is in NO. I'm sorry, but that just seems distracting, doesn't it? I'm sure she's one of many ("real" news people are all over the place and necessary). Isn't there a makeover somewhere that needs attention? Shouldn't she be in Paris shopping? Anyway, came across this gal for whom I'm unfamiliar. But I liked her blog. Read her stuff on Oprah, Kanye West, and others. It's hard hitting, amusing, etc. Her name is Debbie Schlussel, and apparently she takes on Bill Maher a lot on his show, and is a frequent guest on Bill O'Reilly (please don't confuse this blog entry with anys sort of commendation for his show...) Read Schlussel's take on Ophrah, Celine, Kayne, Jesse et all....
I'm extremely bothered by all that has happened, and my heart breaks for the people there that are affected. It's a time for our nation to unite and work together. The stories of how that is happening on a grassroots, no-red-tape level are very compelling (read my previous blog). But this will last a long, long time. So far, I'm very proud and pleased of what I'm seeing from God's people and how they are responding. Looking to put the serving towel over my arm and make a difference too. Hope some of these high-profile people will do the same, and stop dividing our country.